Re: OLS Bof info

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 16:11:46 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:20:14PM -0700, MAILER-DAEMONat_private wrote:
    > I think we need to support running older modules on newer LSM
    > infrastructures, otherwise we're going to get into a viscious circle of
    > version-chicken (a module wants version LSM version X, version X wants
    > kernel Y, but I also need kernel Z (LSM version != X) because that is the
    > only version for which feature Q is available)...

    Richard, all it will take for older modules to run on newer kernels with
    different LSM interfaces (more hooks) is a recompile. Of course, the
    minute that kernel gets to a NULL entry in the security ops structure,
    it will Panic... (Nah, Chris's sanity checking code should find this
    problem, I think.)

    When your module doesn't have an entry that is in a new interface, you
    could do one of two simple things: (1) write a stub to return success
    (2) write a stub to return failure. If your module wants to think about
    it, you could write a function to actually think about it. :)

    I'd be pretty surprised if this becomes a problem. :)

    --
    http://sardonix.org/