Re: OLS Bof info

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 14:54:46 PDT

    On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 05:18:40PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    > This raises a second concern - who's job is it to watch the kernel and
    > make sure that new hooks are added in functionality when needed?

    General kernel etiquette (sp?) is that whoever makes an important change
    in one location is in charge of making corresponding changes in other
    code that depended upon the old behavior.

    However, when, say, Al Viro makes a VFS change, he can hardly be
    expected to make corresponding changes to the 20+ filesystems. I think
    LSM's complexity is nowhere near this bad, so hopefully, those who make
    changes will be able to propogate appropriate changes through LSM when
    needed. And yes, it will require vigilence on the part of module
    authors. (Who better understands the security implications of code
    changes? :)

    --
    http://www.wirex.com/