Re: OLS Bof info

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 13:04:50 PDT

    Per This Discussion...
    Things I'd Like To See As a Module Maintainer:

    1) Add a single pointer to the structure that is registered, near the top
    (just for convenience), that is the "default/unsupported" function.

    2) Have the module pass the length of the structure it is registering when
    it registers the structure (most likely as "number of hooks".)  This could
    be simply another integer in the registration function call, since the
    registration code would probably know the size of a pointer.

    3) Copy the default pointer to all the pointers in the internal structure
    before doing anything else.

    4) Copy the specified structure into the functional structure, based on
    the number of hooks specified.

    This would allow the MODULE to trap kernel calls that it doesn't handle,
    and notify the developer or the errant admin (who is loading an obsolete
    module) without a kernel panic.  Module developers who don't want to
    manage all of the hooks could just register hooks to a "don't care" in the
    original structure within their module, and know the difference.

    Anybody see a REAL problem with this technique, other than it changes the
    registration code some?  I think there are a few other advantages for LSM
    for pre-registration problems.

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones

    P.S. -- I'm willing to tackle any problems I haven't elucidated.

    * J. Melvin Jones                http://www.jmjones.com/
    * Webmaster, System Administrator, Network Administrator