Re: Submitting LSM (Was: Re: OLS Bof info)

From: James Morris (jmorrisat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 18:06:34 PDT

    On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Greg KH wrote:

    > I think we should initially not submit the network stuff at all.  Then,
    > after the main lsm patch is in, add the network stuff as a separate
    > configuration option.  I figure all the main battles will have taken
    > place by then, so we can just focus on the network issues.

    I feel that the entire LSM API needs to be put forward for discussion, and
    that we should be working with the core network developers from the start.
    I don't think the networking can be just dropped in as an afterthought.

    Why not just use separate patches -- if people don't want to look at the
    networking stuff, they don't have to.

    Also, we haven't had a request yet to make the network stuff separately
    configurable (a 0.3% hit on raw gigabit TCP bandwidth may be less of an
    issue than macroizing the code).

    - James
    --
    James Morris