Re: Thinking about stacking in LSM: merge registering, add info about field use to security_operations

From: Chris Wright (chrisat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 00:38:08 PDT

    * Lachlan McIlroy (lachlanat_private) wrote:

    > How about a scheme where a multiplexor module's version of
    > mod_reg_security() returns a security descriptor (like a
    > file descriptor) that is unique to each subordinate module
    > loaded and is used to access the subordinate module's
    > security blob with object->security[security_descriptor]?

    Yes, this is almost possible as it stands.  The only issue is the
    expected return from mod_reg_security is 0 for success, non-zero for
    failure.  This is the way we had originially discussed allowing for
    stacking (directly in the framework).  Because arbitrary security model
    composition yields undefined results (oh yeah, and Linus said he didn't
    want to see stacking ;-) we chose to push stacking to the module --
    a bit of policy to be implemented in the module not in the framework.

    I am not opposed to changing the mod_reg interface such that < 0 is
    failure and >= 0 is success.  But the only way this would be useful is
    if the module knew to use ->security[index].  Since the common case is
    unstacked (direct blob access) would we expect a module to chose when to
    use ->security vs. ->security[index] or simply expect that a module is
    either stackable or not, but not both?  Making all blobs void** would
    fix this, but this looks suspiciously like explicit encouragement in
    the framework for stacking.

    Is elaborate, flexible stacking really something people want?  What's the
    justification (other than it's an interesting problem to solve ;-) ?