Re: Another version of stacker.c (URL attached) - Locking.

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 11:43:59 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 01:11:40PM -0400, David Wheeler wrote:
    > Below is some discussion on locking; I now plan to
    > take a very conservative and "safe" approach for at least
    > the first version of "Stacker".  Comments welcome.

    I would hate to see the benchmark runs with a lock being grabbed for
    every security hook.  I think you just set back the whole "no more BKL"
    posse a few years :)

    This is one reason I think stacked modules are mostly an academic
    exercise, and can not be a viable solution, unless some of the proposed
    module locking and reference counting logic gets added to the kernel.

    Although RCU might be a nice interm solution.  The patch for that is
    available, and might be worth trying out once you get a working stacking
    module (and modules to stack.)

    Good luck,

    greg k-h