xchg()

From: David Wheeler (dwheelerat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 11:17:17 PDT

    James Morris said:
     > xchg() may be useful in some situations.

    The name of the function certainly sounds very promising;
    an atomic exchange operation that can swap pointers
    would be just ducky.  It's actually overkill - all I need
    is atomic assigment - but it'll certainly solve the problem.

    But where is this xchg() operation?  A recursive grep for
    "xchg" found stuff in arch/ppc, but that's it in
    linux 2.5.26.  Do you mean an xchg operation for some
    specific CPU architecture?  If so, that's less desirable -
    I'd like an operation that ports to anything if possible.

    --- David A. Wheeler
         dwheelerat_private