LSM for packet filtering

From: lists brk (brk_listsat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 16:14:16 PDT

    I apologize for providing little information in my
    question and before I ask the next question I thought
    I will read through the docs. Now LSM makes a little
    sense to me :-). I will try my best to ask the same
    question in another way.

    Consider a linux router. I want to implement certain
    packet classification and filtering algorithms for the
    packets coming in on an interface and leaving from
    another interface. These packet algorithms can be as
    simple as classifying the incoming traffic into
    mail-traffic or web-traffic etc and filtering them
    based on certain policies or any other complex
    algorithm. I can use Netfilter hooks to recieve
    packets and implement any such algorithms (which may
    be straight forward).

    From the docs I understand that "LSM allows modules to
    mediate access to kernel objects by placing hooks in
    the kernel code just ahead of the access", and as a
    part of the IPv4 networking hooks Netfilter API is
    used for intercepting  packets as they traverse the IP
    layer. At each Netfilter hook, LSM hook is called
    before and after packets are passed to the Netfilter
    framework.

    So what kind of acess control does LSM envision? (what
    can preroute_first or preroute_last etc. do?)

    Can this access control be based on the header field
    values of the IPv4 packets?

    If it is possible to perform access control based on
    header field values of the IPv4 packets, then is there
    any need for Netfilter?

    I dont know if these questions make any sense.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

    --brk

    -------------------------------------
    On Tuesday 13 August 2002 7:57 pm, lists brk wrote:

    > Hi! I am a newbie to LSM. I have a linux router and
    > was wondering if it is possible to use LSM to insert
    > new algorithms for packet filtering?

    What do you mean by 'new algorithms' ?

    Have you tried playing with netfilter (and the many
    and varied user-supplied
    extensions to that) and found something you need which
    it can't do ?

    What do you want to do ?

    Antony.