Linux Kongress tutorial

From: Russell Coker (russellat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 13:13:44 PDT

    Last week was Linux Kongress.

    I started out with a 6 hour hands-on tutorial on SE Linux.  This didn't go as
    well as planned for a number of reasons.

    One problem was that on the day before when starting to prepare I didn't power
    on all the machines, so on the day of the tutorial when I turned them all on
    the circuit-breaker tripped. :(  So we had lots of power outages with an end
    result of having no power and not having the image installed to the hard
    drives at the appointed start time.

    Fortunately my network-install setup was pretty smooth and I had all 16
    machines up and running within 30 minutes of power being restored.

    Unfortunately in my haste I had omitted some packages of software from the
    hard drives of the machines, so I put them on the FTP server of my laptop.
    Some confusion was caused by this and by the fact that I had included full
    file names (including version numbers) of the packages (and I had developed
    new versions between the publication date and the day of the tutorial).

    Another problem was that the notes weren't as clear as they could have been (I
    have not written such a document before).  The biggest mistake I made was
    lack of repitition.  If something was mentioned in the previous section then
    I would not mention it again, I now believe that for a tutorial every section
    should start with "After doing foo which we learned in the previous section
    we will continue to do bar" or something similar.  EVERY student failed to
    edit the default_context after creating a new role, I had presumed that they
    would have recalled it from the section on adding a new user.  Whenever the
    majority of students fail to learn it's because the teacher has made a
    mistake, this is something I'll have to be more careful about in future.

    The next issue was that I had planned for students to give accounts to other
    groups and to be able to monitor and control them while they are logged in.
    However no two groups were at that stage at the same time and everyone
    skipped it.  For future tutorials I plan to use NBD or some similar
    technology to store the data on the network.  Then at a snack break they can
    change machines such that groups at a similar skill level can cluster which
    will allow them to perform such tasks.

    However the tutorial went quite well apart from these problems.  I was very
    surprised by the rate at which they learned, as some time was removed by the
    lack of power which corresponded to the section they skipped, so at the
    appointed end time everyone had finished the work.

    I was actually surprised by how well the audience learned some of the
    concepts, I hadn't expected that everyone would complete the work in the time
    alotted.  I was glad to have such an intelligent group of people to teach!

    Russell Coker