Re: [RFC] No more module_* hooks

From: Antony Stone (Antony@Soft-Solutions.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 05:24:50 PDT

    On Friday 27 September 2002 1:19 pm, Stephen Smalley wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Greg KH wrote:

    > > In looking at the hooks that we have, that no one uses, module_* were an
    > > easy target.  So here's a series of patches that removes them.  If no
    > > one complains, I'll commit these to the main tree.

    > Please see my response to Christoph on this issue, copied to the list.  If
    > the criteria is that every hook and every parameter to every hook must be
    > used by an existing open source security module, then a number of the
    > hooks and parameters need to be pruned.  But I don't think that this is a
    > good strategy, as it guarantees that the LSM hooks will need to be
    > extended very frequently as people begin to truly take advantage of LSM.

    I agree with this.   We don't necessarily know everything that people want to
    do, or are trying to do, with LSM, and removing some hooks just because
    they're not being used right now is not, IMHO, the right way to prune things.

    If there seems to be a good reason in favour of removing something, then
    let's consider removing it, but if the only reason is that we don't know
    anyone who's using it (yet), then I say it should stay in.

    Antony.

    --

    Documentation is like sex:
    when it's good, it's very very good;