Re: [RFC] LSM changes for 2.5.38

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 10:08:01 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 05:48:11PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:

    > Why do you want to stop any new open source projects from having access to
    > these hooks, just because they are not being used by current projects ?

    Because we can not guess at what "people might want".  Linux's design is
    driven by a need right now.  Not a "possible need in the future".  If
    someone comes up with a new security project that needs new hooks, I
    would be glad to add them.

    > It seems like saying a couple of years ago "no-one's using these USB
    > functions, so we're going to get rid of them", simply because not enough
    > people had bought USB stuff to play with yet.

    Um, please show me a USB function that was created before there was a
    real need for it?  In fact, show me a USB function that is present in
    the existing code base that no one is using, and I will gladly rip it
    out right now.

    thanks,

    greg k-h