Re: Last question on rm -f unused_hooks*

From: Demetrios Lambrou (dlambrouat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 10:11:53 PDT

    Quoting Greg KH <gregat_private>:

    > On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 06:09:47AM -0400, Demetrios Lambrou wrote:
    > >
    > > So you are saying that frequent changes to the base kernel (once LSM
    > becomes
    > > part of the mainstream kernel) are ok and that Linus would be happy to
    > have
    > > new hooks added ,whenever there is a person that has a new LSM idea.
    >
    > I do not speak for Linus, so I do not know.

    My point here is that when people want to place new hooks in different places in
    the same chunk of code there might be a problem. While now people are (in a way)
    forced to adapt their modules to the existing framework.
    So you end up with a generic interface to the kernel, and although you dont
    fully use it , it will be there and people will be able to use it in the future.

    > > But he is not happy with the idea that there would be some hooks
    > that
    > > are not used at the time of the merge. Maybe the LSM people should
    > > give it some more time before cutting out hooks.
    >
    > I am not happy with the idea that there would be hooks in the kernel
    > that are not being used.  That's not the Linux way.  If the code isn't
    > being used, it's removed.  I do not expect to ask anyone to try to
    > maintain the presence of a hook that is not being used.
    >
    > And personally, I will not ask Linus to accept a patch for a hook that
    > is not being used.  If you have a problem with my decision about this,
    > and think you can make a convincing argument to the upstream
    > maintainer
    > of the specific piece of code where that hook lives, by all means,
    > please do.
    >
    > > Why dont you keep it simple and stick to the original LSM design?
    >
    > That sounds simple to me.  And what design rules am I breaking with
    > this
    > statement?
    >
    > > If you really think that some hooks should not be there, publish a
    > new
    > > paper called the "New LSM framework" and then change the framework.
    >
    > Hm, a bit touchy aren't we?  :)
    >
    > Seriously, we are still mediating access to kernel objects, just like
    > the original design.  I don't see how getting rid of the module_*
    > hooks
    > means we have a "whole brand new LSM framework" to deal with.

    > > The original paper is getting a bit out of date now. The framework
    > is
    > > drifting slowly from truly generic to 5 or so existing LSMs
    > specific.
    >
    > Patches gladly accepted.  As all we have to work with is 5 or so
    > existing chunks of code that actually _use_ this framework, I don't
    > know
    > what else we can use.
    >
    > If you have a LSM module that needs one of the hooks that we are
    > proposing removing, speak up!

    It is not that I have a module that uses the hooks you are removing.
    With the security hooks in every critical point in the kernel
    it would possible to create a module that monitors any subject
    you are interested in , and being able to create a history of what the subject
    did before it finally exits. What good is this ?? For educational purposes at
    the moment (sth like a kernel auditing mechanism)!

    As I said before the LSM framework although designed to provide an interface to
    security modules, it could be used for other purposes as well.

    If and when i have sth that needs removed hooks i will sure let you know :-)

    By the way which hooks have you finally decided to remove for the time being?

    Thanks

    --
    Demetrios Lambrou

    http://crazylinux.net