Re: OWLSM - please update! Also, here are tweaks to stack it.

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 15:49:27 PST

    On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:56:16AM -0600, Emily Ratliff wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > OWLSM needs a few more changes before it is really ready to be submitted:
    >
    > - Copyright - We need to add Solar Designer's copy right to owlsm.h and he
    > asked if we would rewrite the description to be the following
    > /*
    >  * This is part of the functionality of the Linux kernel patches from
    >  * the Openwall Project that has been ported to LSM framework.  Being a
    >  * derived work, it is released and maintained independently from the
    >  * Openwall Project.  It has little relation to Openwall GNU/*/Linux or
    >  * Owl which includes an entire security-enhanced userland and thus is
    >  * a more fundamental project than the kernel patches or LSM module.
    >  *
    >  * More information regarding the Openwall Project and Owl can be found
    >  * at http://www.openwall.com and http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
    >  *
    >  * Copyright (c) 1997-xxxx by Solar Designer <solarat_private>
    >  * Copyright (c) aaaa-bbbb by Chris Wright <chrisat_private>
    >  * ...and so on...
    >  */
    >
    > He also mentioned that the fd 0-2 code was originally by Pavel Kankovsky
    > and that we might add his copyright but we should probably ask him.

    I've updated the copyright code in the LSM tree based on these comments,
    thanks.

    > - Freshen the code: Solar Designer has made a few bug fixes to the latest
    > Openwall kernel patch which are not reflected in OWLSM.

    Hm, I looked over the most recent patch, but didn't see anything
    obvious.  Any hints?

    > - Replace the comparison to uid 0 or at least think about whether it is
    > really desirable
    >
    > I know I should be submitting a patch rather than just talking about these
    > things. When I get a chance, I will, but I won't be able to in the
    > forseeable future and now at least you know. :-)

    Heh, ok, I'm going to hold off submitting this for inclusion until it
    gets some more testing, and hopefully the above changes.

    thanks,

    greg k-h