Re: General questions

From: Serge E. Hallyn (hallynat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 22:51:44 PST

    > your module-aware user-level applications. The recommended method is to
    > "make a file system." I don't know whether any of the sample modules
    > <http://lsm.immunix.org/lsm_modules.html> yet include code that does that.

    The 2.5 version of the DTE module does this.  See security/dte/dte.c.
    While I'm not sure I like the particular implementation (*), it does
    work.  It is basically an ugly, abbreviated version of Greg's hotplug
    code (search in linuxjournal).  It did turn out much simpler than I had
    feared.

    -serge

    (*) Every process sees it's own results at the same filename, so typing
      echo /home/$USER/.aliases > /dte/get_type
      cat /dte/get_type
    at a shell returns the (non-existant) results for the new 'cat' process,
    not the shell.  It's fine if you continue to use a short program to both
    write the query and obtain the results, but you don't get the
    plan-9-esque elegance which a pseudo-fs should provide.  Since
    presumably everyone will be implementing a pseudo-fs soon, and since it
    seems worthwhile for the modules to each use a similar layout for the
    pseudo-fs, what do other people think?  Is a /pseudo-fs/pid/filename
    layout better, or just needless added complexity?