Re: LSM vs System-call hook

From: Chris Wright (chrisat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 01:24:01 PST

    * Koichi ONOUE (koichiat_private) wrote:
    > > Consider the race:
    > >
    > > user space makes syscall
    > >
    > > syscall hook
    > > lookup data         <-------
    > > authorize access           |
    > >                            |  duplicate lookup is not atomic
    > > real syscall invoked       |
    > > lookup data         <-------
    > > access object
    > >
    > > The data is looked twice in a non-atomic way.  System state can change
    > > between two lookups, so it is possible to authorize access to object
    > > that will not be used when the real syscall happens.
    > >

    > I can understand above, but even if hook mechanism is
    > system-call based hook, use extending system-call based hook in
    > kernel to be able to defence above race.

    yes, but now the syscall hook rewrites the syscall entry point for every
    syscall and does this:

    user syscall

    syscall hook
    lookup data
    authorize access
    call kernel internal function for object access (to remove duplicate lookup)

    ok.  but you have rewritten the syscall entry point for every syscall,
    and you may not have all meaningful context.  look at open_namei().  you
    don't want to have all that code in your syscall-hook.