capset() always fails

From: Ravi (kravi26at_private)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 11:13:02 PDT

    Hi,
     I am running a 2.5.69 kernel built with CONFIG_SECURITY = Y
    and CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES = M. I tried to use the
    capset() system call to modify the capabiities of a task.
    But capset always returns with -EPERM.
    After browsing the code a little, I found why capset() is
    failing. All tasks created after the capability module is
    loaded have CAP_SETPCAP unset in their effective and
    permitted capability masks. This makes capset useless.

    Is masking CAP_SETPCAP intentional or is it a bug? If it
    is intentional, is there an alternate way to change
    capabilities?

    Thanks,
    Ravi.

    PS: I am not subscribed to the list. Please CC me on the