Re: Invalid module format

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 20:48:41 PDT

    On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 04:13:28PM +0800, Yuan ChunYang wrote:
    > In kernel 2.5.72 , My modules: demo-module.c
    > # insmod demo-module.o
    > Error inserting 'demo-module.o': -1 Invalid module format

    It was my understanding that 2.5.48 or so introduced a new module
    format, with filenames traditionally ending in .ko, that require the use
    of new module-init-tools to load the modules into a running kernel. I
    suspect that you are using older, 2.4/2.5.47-, modutils.

    Your distribution may have module-init-tools available for you to install
    without thought; another alternative is to search ftp.kernel.org for
    module-init-tools packages. I know they were in people/rusty/ at one
    point but perhaps they've been moved to a more official location to
    match their more official prominence.

    Best of luck.

    --
    The DMCA is anti-consumer. The RIAA and MPAA have no right to rewrite
    copyright laws to suit themselves.