Howto read a file off disk?

From: Omen Wild (Omen.Wildat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 12:31:53 PDT

    I'm writing a LSM to implement part of Tripwire's functionality at
    runtime, specifically, SHA1 checking.  What I want to do is verify the
    SHA1 hash of the file that being opened is the same as a previously
    computed hash.  I want to ensure (when they are opened) that files have
    not been modified from their previous contents.

    I've successfully tapped the kernel at the inode_permission security
    check.  This gives me what I want, and I have everything set up, except
    for actually reading the contents of the file off disk and feeding them
    to the hash function.  Can anyone give me some pointers for how to read
    a file's contents when what I have is an inode?

    Thanks,
       Omen

    --
    There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved
    through a suitable application of high explosives.