Re: Howto read a file off disk?

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 21:27:17 PDT

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:19:00PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:

    > Then there was the whole "we need to recognize zillions of disks in a few
    > fractions of a second" thread, which actually is relevant here because it's the
    > same basic problem of userspace callbacks...

    Well, as it was finally brought out, we don't need to recognize zillions
    of disks in a few fractions of seconds.  And userspace will eventually
    catch up :)

    But yes, back to the original topic, I do agree that checking things
    like md5s or signatures on files should be done from within the kernel.

    As an example, see the cryptomark code I ported to 2.4 that puts gpg
    into the kernel and makes it so that only signed binaries are the ones
    that are able to be run as root.

    thanks,

    greg k-h