Re: Howto read a file off disk?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 08:20:49 PDT

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:27:17 CDT, Jesse Pollard said:
    > On Friday 18 July 2003 11:34, Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    > > What about the use of SSE instructions to speed up the crypto hashing?  I
    > > can't remember if that counts as floating point or not....
    >
    > I'm not 100% sure, but I think those are included as part of the user space
    > support just like the floating point.

    Well.. Yeah.  However, there's a general prohibition against using floating
    point *inside the kernel*, so you may or may not be able to use SSE to
    speed up stuff that's in (for example) the cryptoapi or 2.6 crypto/ code.

    Back in April, there was a thread on LKML regarding __constant_memcpy
    and how gcc needed a -fdontyoudareusefloatingpoint which might be
    informative...