Re: How to get full pathname from an inode?

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 13:19:44 PDT

    Omen Wild  wrote:
    >Let me back up a step, maybe I am approaching this from the wrong
    >direction.  After I calculate a SHA1 for a file I would like to cache
    >success.  Until the file gets altered the result will be the same.  So,
    >my thought was that if I can catch all paths that write to the file and
    >invalidate my cache flag, I can save a lot of unnecessary work.

    Well, I guess my reaction is that it might be time to re-consider that
    approach, in light of the points raised here.  For what it's worth,
    I'm personally not convinced your approach is going to be workable.

    My fear is that there are so many paths of this form that it's going to
    be hard to cover them all.  My fear is that trying to shoehorn your code
    into the existing Linux buffer/file caches may be doomed to failure,
    because the purpose those caches were designed for is very different
    from your goals.  I don't think this is a LSM issue.

    In short, I am somewhat skeptical about whether your proposed approach
    is going to attain the security goals you seek.