Re: Network

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 10:29:07 PDT

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:17:48 +0200, linuxmoduleat_private  said:

    > I want to ask you how can i intercept the network traffic from a kernel
    > module ? Can you direct me to some example or already made module that does
    > this ? I have a lot of proceses (http apache or qmail) that are freezing just
    > like that! The only thing that still runs is the ping reply and i want to make
    > a switch based on a special packet sent using the ping command that restarts
    > the server when received. It is possible to intercept all traffic using a
    > kernel module ?

    Some thoughts:

    1) It's probably more productive to figure out why your entire system is
    locking up, and fix the actual problem.

    2) Keep in mind that if you add support for a "magic packet", that also means
    that you can be DoS'ed via the same "magic packet"...

    3) If your *current* system is locked up, the chances of kernel code managing
    to restart things correctly and cleanly is rather low - at best, you *MIGHT* be
    able to schedule a 'signal(pid,9);' and hope that something notices the SIGCHLD
    and re-forks it.  Of course, if it's hung, the signal won't be delivered
    anyhow, so this may not work well at all...

    4) If you *still* think it's a good idea, I'd suggest using the ipfilters code
    and adding a custom 'target' - see net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_LOG.c for hints of
    how to add a target...

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer