Re: Secure reboot

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 11:16:36 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:41:42PM -0700, Michael Halcrow wrote:
    > I have an LSM that dissallows the following capabilities:
    >
    > CAP_SYS_MODULE
    > CAP_SYS_RAWIO
    > CAP_NET_ADMIN

    > It is not acceptable to disable or unload the module.  I must be able
    > to add logic to address the special case where the user runs
    > /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/halt, or /sbin/reboot, or performs an action
    > that equates to a legal reboot or halt request by the administrator.

    I guess I don't understand your security goals.

    On one hand, you don't want /sbin/shutdown to function.
    On the other hand, you do want /sbin/shutdown to function.

    And I don't understand the criteria involved in deciding which rule
    should be followed when.

    What method of bypassing your capability checks are you interested in
    providing? Something like SELinux's newrole(8) to allow a "shutdown
    role"? Something like LIDS's "lids free session"? Or SubDomain's
    "unconfined process"? Or something like systrace's syscall mediation? Or
    something like LOMac's dynamic watermarking (e.g., any process that has
    communicated with the network is now no longer able to shutdown the
    machine).

    It depends on whatever it is you wish to accomplish. :)

    --
    "Soon everyone will have an SUV, making roads obsolete and saving
    millions in highway costs." -- Mo Rocca