Re: Spam on the list

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 11:28:45 PDT

    Seth Arnold wrote:

    >On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:36:03PM -0400, John S. Wolter wrote:
    >

    >>Would it be ok with the list if I approach them about providing
    >>Anti-Spam services?  The service interjects itself just before EMail
    >>

    >This doesn't sound like a great deal to me. (a) spamassassin is free --

    I agree with Seth: no, I don't want to change away from Spamassassin at
    this time. Some observations:

        * LSM was spam free for the first year or so, because we used the
          "closed list, moderate posts by non-subscribers" method. This was
          unacceptable to the LKML group, so we had to open it to
          cross-posting and use Spamassassin to filter the resulting spam.
        * Both Spamassassin and Mozilla Bayesian filtering (what I
          personally use) have been suffering more false negatives (spam
          leaking through) lately. I attribute this to more sophisticated
          effort on the part of the spammers to bypass simple filtering.
          They are using a variety of tricks, which I believe work equally
          well on most filtering techniques that don't have a human in the loop:
              o Carefully avoiding "red flag" words like "penis" and
                "mortgage", and instead using either synonyms or mis-spellings.
              o Populating the post with "good" text (excerpts from actual
                good text) to confuse score-based filters.
              o Segmenting words with HTML comments, so that whole "bad"
                keywords are not visible as such unless you do HTML
                rendering before filtering.

    In the face of an intelligent adversary, almost all current spam
    filtering methods are kludges that lead to an arms race. The ones that
    don't are deemed too inconvenient: challenge/response and close mailing
    lists. IMHO, things will continue to degrade until a fundamental change
    is made to either spam law or SMTP protocols. In the mean time, I'm
    quite happy with our current kludge (Spamassassin) and don't really want
    to change to a different kludge: the Spamassassin people make continuous
    improvements, and we benefit from that.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/