Re: dirjail module

From: Serge E. Hallyn (hallyn@private)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 06:46:31 PST

    > file has b0rked many a set-UID program. (yes, this is still a problem with
    > enough software that the grsecurity patch includes a 'force 0/1/2 to /dev/null
    > if not open' section).

    That behavior might well be worth emulating.

    (or implementing as part of another lsm?)

    > Likewise, I can't convince myself that the fact that a given dentry can be either
    > on the read exception list or execute exception list, but not both, isn't a whoops
    > waiting to happen.

    That is easy enough to fix, but at a (perhaps very minor) performance hit.
    I'm undecided as to whether that would be a good thing.  It seems to perhaps
    be tempting the administrator into using this module too generally?

    > Similarly for the inheritance to subdirectories - is there
    > an easy way to say "/foo is on the read exception list, and /foo/a, /foo/b, and
    > /foo/d are, but /foo/c is *NOT*"? (This becomes important for things like /usr/lib,
    > where many systems store mixes of binaries, shared libs, and data).

    That seems to be outside the scope of the module.