Re: comparison

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 02:52:47 PST

    mohd fayzal wrote:

    > wow a miss conception indeed,
    >
    > thank you crispin,
    >
    > hmm i'm lost, where should i start, from the kernel with a single base
    > say 2.4.00 then start understanding kernel pacth, and the security
    > enhance package?

    What you should do is a much tougher question, because I know nothing
    about your previous experience, education, and course requirements.

    It is not necessary to completely understand the Linux kernel to
    understand the concepts of LSM. The path to understanding LSM is to read
    the USENIX 2002 paper, not to the Linux 2.4 source code.

    You should decide whether you are trying to learn kernel things, with an
    emphasis on security (in which case you should study LSM, perhaps
    compare some module, perhaps write your own) or you are trying to learn
    security things (in which case comparing distros might be more
    informative than comparing kernel modules).

    > that sounds a whole lot of work may be i should be thinking about
    > other topics.

    And you should figure out how much work you want to do :)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com
    Immunix 7.3           http://www.immunix.com/shop/