Re: Stacking LSM proof-of-concept

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 10:47:32 PST

John Richard Moser wrote:

> Crispin Cowan wrote:
> >"Top posting" is where you insert your reply to a post *above* the other
> >guy's post instead of below. Business people tend to prefer top posting,
> >while technical people tend to prefer that you insert your response
> >*below* the text you are responding to.
>
> I'm a business person, but I'm a technical person too.  I tend to think
> in terms of PR and marketting, but also in terms of making sure that all
> claims are technically accuratet, when I discuss things.  I like to be
> able to do things and understand the technical aspect of everything; and
> if I was ever given a managment position I'd prefer to be able to work
> with the programmers and engineers below me, but also to have them
> actually be smarter than me so I can learn from them too.
>
> What type of posting should I prefer?

I have no idea what you "should" prefer. In my experience, one's
preferences are not a choice, they simply are.

The more appropriate question is what kind of postings you should write.
The answer depends on your community. When writing to a technical
community, you'll likely do better with bottom posting. When writing to
suits, you'll likely do better with top posting.

> >Greg K-H (a senior Linux kernel developer) did a bunch of work and
> >reviewed your code. He did you a favor. You belittled his work. It may
> >not be wrong, but it is not very smart.
>
> Well I'm sorry, it just came across wrong and that wasn't my intent.
> I'll be more careful next time.

So what is it you expected to happen when you posted your code?

Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com