Re: Stacking LSM proof-of-concept

From: John Richard Moser (nigelenki@private)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 22:02:39 PST

Valdis.Kletnieks@private wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:12:30 EST, John Richard Moser said:
>

>>Uh.  I read my code like a thousand times, I was pretty sure I found all
>>bugs.  I'm used to you know, not having any; but I'm used to writing my
>>entire codebase from scratch, so I usually know what the *entire*
>>program does.
>>
>>I was surprised, is that wrong?
>

> Yes, you were wrong.  The fact that one can produce a mostly bug-free codebase
> from scratch (and I'll quickly point out the *vast* difference between
> "bug-free" and "no reported bugs") only shows that you know how to produce
> fairly small and self-contained programs.
>
> Being able to write a 10K standalong program is *vastly* different than being
> able to write 10K lines that will fit bug-free into a 10M line program.  And a
> few days of lurking on lkml will show that *nobody* at the top is "used to not
> having any" bugs - even Linus has at least one "OK, so I'm an idiot" posting
> a month.

Yeah well, if I could keep the whole program and its foundation concepts
in my head I could write bug-free code :/  I don't have that kind of
brain though.  Nobody does.

Of course, there's a trick to it.  When I write my own code, I
understand what each part (each function, each module, each library)
does.  As long as you keep your API straight, you can do it perfect.
Thing is you have to know exactly what each function does; if there's a
bug, it's isolated into a specific function, and easy to fix.

Obviously I overstepped my bounds thinking I could do the same thing
with code I don't understand.  Wasn't that foolish.

Well, I wanna put this to the test, so I'm trying to figure sqlite out
and I'm working on something large.  We'll see how well I can keep up
writing my own package manager and administrative tools.  Though
visually it's all the same, when you understand it, working code is
beautiful and broken code is ugly to look at.  I want it to be perfect.

wtf

I'm ranting

stfu

> Even DJ Bernstein and Don Knuth don't claim to write totally bug-free code. ;)

I heard Knuth maintains one program that's had no bugs in 10 years.
- --