Re: Latest release of stacker

From: Stephen Smalley (sds@private)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 08:14:18 PST

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 09:58 -0600, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> At last here are a few results.  I am comparing
>
> 	1) a stock 2.6.11-rc5 kernel with selinux+capabilities,
> 	2) 2.6.11-rc5 with stacker + selinux + cap_stack
> 	3. 2.6.11-rc5 with modified stacker + selinux + cap_stack
>
> The modified stacker creates a list_head for each LSM hook and adds a
> module's hook to the list only if it is defined.  This way we don't have
> to check for (module->operation) for each module on each hook call.
> This results in performance on macrobenchmarks (kernel compile) which
> actually seems on par with or slightly better than non-stacker.  Lmbench
> results (attached) for some reason do not back this up.  I can't explain
> those results.  Might just try a whole new set of lmbench tests, in case
> I left some service enabled.

In the past, we haven't found kernel compile benchmark to be very
revealing for SELinux performance analysis.  dbench results would be of
interest.  More generally, you might want to repeat the tests done for
the AVC RCU work, see

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110054824004161&w=2

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@private>