Re: New stacker performance results

From: Chris Wright (chrisw@private)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 22:36:55 PDT

* Crispin Cowan (crispin@private) wrote:
> James Morris wrote:
> >Note: out of tree kernel code does not count for anything.  It's not
> >really part of the Linux kernel.  Mainline maintainers don't care about it
> >and should not be expected to.  If you want them to care, for people to
> >fix bugs in it for free, and for more people to use it, then submit the
> >module for upstream inclusion.  It seems rather strange that you haven't.
> >
> I find this to be a very odd perspective.
>
> I think of LSM as an API. Its purpose is precisely to provide a layer of
> abstraction so that kernel maintainers do *not* have to maintain the
> modules. Linus said *very explicitly* that he did not want to maintain
> security modules, and that was the point of LSM.  I know of a large
> number of LSM modules in development all over the place, and discounting
> them just because they have not been imposed on the kernel community
> seems arbitrary. So this "does not count" stuff sounds like a
> contrivance to me.
>
> I had *assumed* that the Linux kernel community was not interested in
> maintaining and bugfixing my module, and so I deliberately avoided
> submitting it as a courtesy. I similarly do not submit my applications
> for mainline inclusion just because they use some Linux syscalls.

OK. this is a major misconception.  James did a good job of describing
the 'rules of the game,' but I'll reiterate.

Core kernel code is there to serve its users.  The users are considered to
be those in-tree (and also those making a concerted effort to get there).

> However, if mainstream kernel inclusion is required to "count" as a
> user, then I'm happy to do that. The module code is GPL anyway, and
> we'll start looking at what it will take to push it to mainstream. This
> seems like a weird requirement to me, but if it is what's required, I
> don't have a problem with it.

Put it this way...in-tree code has a say in the interfaces it uses, out
of tree code doesn't really have the same luxury.  There's no such thing
as a stable internal kernel api.  Being out of tree means you risk
losing a functional piece of an api simply because in-tree users no
longer needed it.