Unregistering Capabilites in a precompiled kernel.

From: Adam Young (ayoung@private)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 19:28:09 PDT

I recently tried loading and running a custom security module on a red
hat system (both el4 and fedora) that has the capabilities lsm built in,
not a loadable module.  It seems that the module parameter to disable
capabilities is not read off the kernel command line.  Is there some way
to disable the capabilities module after the Kernel has booted.
Obviously, I can't just unload the module. I'm trying to keep from
deploying my own Kernel.

I tried a really ugly hack where I found out the address of the
capability_ops  structure (using objdump) and passed that to unregister,
which seemed to work, as it allowed me to then register my own module,
but it later hung the system (no oops).  When I built the red hat Kernel
with Capabilities as a module, it worked fine.