Re: strings associated with code red and variants (fwd)

From: Ryan Russell (ryanat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 16:58:29 PDT

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Tina Bird wrote:

    > Things to look for in your Web server logs:
    >
    > 'default' may return too much.  I usually use it with 'default.ida' and
    > 'default.idq'.

    To what end?  If you want after-the-attempt info, it is pretty easy to
    match on a more specific string, and even differentiate the two major
    worms.  If you're trying to detect heretofore unknown attempts (though
    again, after the fact, and hopfully you're not vulnerable to them) that is
    the only reason I can see for the general matching.  I.e. you want anomaly
    detection.

    What I will do is update SIDS over the weekend, and make a post here,
    since we now have a very appropriate list.  SIDS is a log
    reduction/anomaly detection tool that presently works with web logs, and
    hopefully more in the future.  I'm looking forward to shamelessly using
    the list for soliciting feedback and feature requests. :)  (All
    open-source stuff, of course.)

    					Ryan