Re: NT Syslog

From: dgillettat_private
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 03:29:03 PDT

    On 10 Aug 2001, at 16:18, Vinay Bharel wrote:

    > Also, is there any freeware utilty that will scan the NT EventLog
    > in real time for errors/warnings.

      I have written such code, but there are three caveats:

    1.  I borrowed the "send an email when a noteworthy event occurs"
    code from elsewhere, and I think it's broken.  I have a hunch where
    the problem probably is, but haven't had time to dig into it.

    2.  The log entry parser code needs to be tweaked for each syslog
    device's format, and is brittle.

    3.  It's not released, as freeware or in any other form; I'm
    reluctant to release it with those first two issues.

      Consider it, then, something like an existence proof; the fact that
    I was able to create such a thing implies that the thing you really
    want *can* exist, and maybe does.

      (Actually, this is more than you've asked for, since it applies a
    ruleset to log events to determine whether to send an alert or not.
    If you can rely on the event log severity code, then caveat #2 and
    the whole ruleset piece can go away, and so it's just a case of
    inserting a working alert mechanism.)

    David Gillett