Re: Central syslog server best practices?

From: Brian Hatch (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 14:04:40 PDT

    > > Recently, the log traffic from our firewall (linux running ipchains) has
    > > been so heavy that the syslog server has been losing data.
    > > I'm wondering how others configure their syslogging "enterprise-wide" to
    > > avoid this problem?
    >

    > I think it sounds a bit weird that the syslog server is losing data just
    > because of one host sending to much information.

    Since syslog uses UDP, and there's no method to enforce
    retransmits of lost UDP datagrams built into the protocol
    itself, it's quite possible for a busy network to cause
    UDP packet loss, and thus the syslogd server will 'miss'
    logs that were sent but not received.

    --
    Brian Hatch                "Faith" means not wanting
       Systems and              to know what is true.

    Every message PGP signed