[loganalysis] SHARP

From: Matt Bing (mbingat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 12:43:19 PDT

    I recently did some graduate work with handling syslog messages
    with a program called SHARP (Syslog Heuristic Analysis and Response
    Program). Basically it's a library interface to receiving
    syslog messages in real-time. The big win is you can is that each
    module is resident and can maintain state. You could also do
    things when messages are _not_ received (ie "mark" messages).

    Unfortunately the program isn't exactly ready for prime-time, (it
    really needs to be rewritten in Perl). But those interested in the
    concept can check out:

    http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/sharp/

    I also review problems with the syslog architecture, many of which
    are addressed by the IETF working group.

    --
    Matt Bing
    NFR Security