RE: [loganalysis] Logging standards and such

From: Wright, Joseph G (Gregory), GOVMK (josephgwrightat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 06:55:46 PDT

    Not so much related to the reliable timestamps, but related to
    encryption, authentication and reliable delivery: syslog-reliable.
    Through the use of the BEEP protocol, one can specify authentication
    profiles or transport encryption profiles or both. Although
    syslog-reliable may not meet all of the needs discussed here, by
    getting involved in the process on can affect a change or an
    extension of the protocol to include those features.

    At this time, syslog-reliable is an internet draft, and Chris
    Lonvick is probably in a better position to say where Mr. Rose
    stands on moving it from internet draft to standards track. But,
    since syslog-reliable serves as an implementation of BEEP (which
    is on the standards track), I would be willing to bet that
    syslog-reliable will move towards the standards track relatively
    soon... and we want a "standard", correct?

    Related URLs:

    syslog-reliable
    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-reliable-12.txt

    BEEP (Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol)
    http://beepcore.org/beepcore/home.jsp
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3080.txt?number=3080

    --
    J. Gregory Wright