Re: [loganalysis] Logging standards and such

From: Jeff King (peff-loganalat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 13:30:14 PDT

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Jose Nazario wrote:

    > you would think so. the number of flaws in the code, and the protocol (at
    > least SSH1), would suggest that there should be investigated other
    > solutions first.
    I would certainly recommend SSH2 in general. But it seems a little
    presumptious to suggest that the solution to SSH's flaws is to flawlessly
    write another large chunk of code.

    > note i'm not a fan of usig a TCP transport mechanism, even with crypto
    > behind it, a syour VPN. i'm a bigger fan of generic encapsulation
    > protocols based on routing (or policy routing) protocols. you have to
    > graft too much on to the system (ie points of failure) to shove things
    > into TCP/SSH pipes (or TCP/SSL pipes).
    I like the reliability of TCP over datagram protocols. As far as the security
    layer is concerned, I have no problem with using IPSec or something lower.
    But I consider the potential loss of datagrams over the network to be
    unacceptable.

    -Peff