Re: [loganalysis] placing time filters on swatch actions

From: Sweth Chandramouli (svcat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 11:31:56 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 06:04:36AM -0700, Stuart Kendrick wrote:
    > I'm wondering how other people solve this problem.  Would you be willing
    > to tell me how you do it?
    	When I was doing NMS consulting, we tended to use three
    solutions:

    1) use a monitoring package like Netcool/Impact that has the
    capability natively (which doesn't address the swatch question, of
    course);

    2) have the exec statement in swatch run a script like the one you
    wrote;

    or

    3) have the exec statement drop a file into one of a few severity-sorted
    directories, and have different cron processes periodically scan those
    directories and send pages based on their contents.

    	When you don't have the $$ for the first solution, I'd
    tend to go with the latter one, because it lets you do some cool stateful
    tricks.  For example, if you have your execs drop pager messages into
    directories named "informational", "warning", and "critical", you could
    have cron only scan the warning and info dirs during business hours, and
    drop the DHCP messages in one of those directories.  If you also name
    the pager message files by the pager ID of the recipient plus some unique
    identifier, you could also do things like having the cron script only send
    one page per recipient per cycle, and only send the subjects of the
    messages rather than the entire message (after moving the relevant
    message files to a spool that the user can later look at manually) if
    the number of queued messages is greater than X.

    	-- Sweth.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli ; <svcat_private>
    President, Idiopathic Systems Consulting