Re: [loganalysis] why read your logs?

From: Andrew Stribblehill (a.d.stribblehillat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 01:41:39 PDT

    Quoting Tina Bird <tbird@precision-guesswork.com>:
    > that ought to cause a bit of a rumpus.
    >
    > i've been tasked with giving a presentation to a group
    > of manager types who do not have our understanding of the
    > importance of staffing for log monitoring.  i've got a
    > couple of analogies to use for them -- things like asking
    > how many of them balance their checkbooks or read their credit
    > card statements -- but figured that this group might have
    > an idea or two of how to convince a non-technie (or a new
    > sys admin) of how important this is...

    What convinced our staff was when we noticed an E450 flashing its 'I
    need maintenance' light', totally by accident. It was in a locked
    machine-room we don't usually go into and we had gone in to look at a
    different machine.

    Turns out that TWO of its three power supplies had died. Most
    embarrassingly, it had been logging this every second to syslog. For
    three weeks.

    --
    Andrew Stribblehill
    Systems programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England