[logs] log review policies

From: Jeff King (peff-loganalat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 23:54:41 PDT

    I'm setting a log review policy for my network, and I just wanted to get
    others' input. Specifically, I'm interested in the actual machines used
    for reviewing logs.

    Our setup is (I expect) pretty typical: servers log in real-time to a
    central loghost (which is presumably secured since it does nothing but
    accept log entries). All logs entries are stored, regardless of merit,
    and IDS processing occurs on the central server. The results of the IDS
    audit are mailed to the sysadmins.  The sysadmins review the mails, but
    infrequently look at the full logs (usually only to investigate a
    problem indicated by the mails).

    For the most part, this works. However, you have a circular trust chain.
    You don't trust the mail server to not get broken into, so you push its
    logs off to a central logserver. However, you never look at the central
    logserver; you trust the mail server to correctly display the contents
    of the logserver to you. In the case of a malicious attack, deleting the
    mailserver logs is on longer impossible; it's just harder (you have to
    delete the logs *and* the mail).

    Have people implemented policy to deal with this? Clearly, the most
    secure thing is to cut the chain of trust down to the keyboard and
    monitor on the logserver.  However, sitting on console on that box might
    be inconvenient, especially if you want timely notices of leg entries
    (if you have to physically go somewhere, you're likely to do it only
    once a day). A reasonable compromise would be to keep the IDS output on
    the logserver and have some way of logging in to view the output; policy
    would dictate that it only be done from certain secured workstations (we
    already have a policy dictating security levels of workstations).

    What are people's thoughts on this?

    -Jeff