Re: [logs] log review policies

From: peff-loganalat_private
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 00:43:36 PDT

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

    > Well, one has to walk over and put in the floppy with the DB, then check it.

    Do you do this every day? Or do you wait for something in the logs to
    clue you in that something might be up?

    Tripwire is really only useful (above standard log reviewing) if you keep
    the executables and the DB on removable (or read-only) media. Which
    includes its own operating system (you don't want a trojaned kernel,
    right?).  And it would require a reboot for every check, since tripwire
    only checks the persistent state of the machine; you want to make sure
    there are no evil kernel modules loaded, either that you fail to check
    for, or that are obscuring tripwire data.

    Perhaps I'm overstating my case...but my point is that rigorously using
    tripwire can be a royal pain in the ass. Using it in a non-rigorous
    fashion can leave some holes open (however unlikely). Reviewing
    reasonably secured logs along with daily (non-rigorous) tripwire checks
    increases the likelihood that an attacker will fail to hide his presence.

    I'd rather have both as rigorous as possible without putting too much
    burden on the sysadmin; IMHO, doing tripwire "right" is too much
    trouble. I'd rather have the logging provide an additional, independent
    check from the tripwire check; if it relies on the tripwire check, then
    tripwire is a single point of failure.

    -Jeff