Re: [logs] log review policies

From: Sweth Chandramouli (svcat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 23:20:22 PDT

    On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 05:04:20PM -0400, peff-loganalat_private wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:
    >
    > > structure methodology. To that end I am also a big promoter/user of SNMP.
    > > We make extensive use of SNMPv3 in many of our managed security
    > > structures. This is the framework behind the following technique:
    >
    > I haven't used SNMP in years...what defenses does v3 provide against
    > spoofing?  Assuming that strong cryptographic authentication could be
    > used, then this sounds like a great idea for doing central system
    > management.
    	SNMPv3 provides authentication of sender[1] and integrity
    checks via MD5 and SHA, 3DES encryption, and a "valid time window" to
    avoid replay attacks.  The big problem is that there is still a _lot_
    of stuff out there that doesn't talk v3, especially in the world of
    network management software, which often necessitates rolling ones own
    solutions if one cares about security.

    > > You have to crack one of these systems within 5 minutes in such a manner
    > > as to change the OOB logging, AND disable the SNMP trapping mechanism, AND
    > > disable the host IDS mechanism, AND finally make sure that you send back
    > > appropriately spoofed hashes.
    >
    > This would be a perfect scenario for a ``hacking'' scene from a
    > Hollywood film. :)
    	It would, of course, be easy if the protagonist was using
    a Mac laptop, which would mean that they would be running an app with a
    big "BYPASS SECURITY" button that would stop the giant countdown timer
    at 0:01 and save the day. :)

    	-- Sweth.

    [1] Technically, authentication of the user on whose behalf the
    message was sent.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli ; <svcat_private>
    President, Idiopathic Systems Consulting