RE: [logs] Syslog client alternatives for NT

From: Nick Vargish (navat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 11:04:36 PST

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Tina Bird wrote:

    > How does the SLR get the NT data?

    We have an agent program which runs on the NT host that accesses the NT
    Event Log data and forwards it to the SLR.

    > Does it do  Netware or mainframes?

    We don't specifically support either Netware or any IBM VM/CMS
    architecture, but if they can log to syslog hosts (udp/514) an SLR can
    capture that data.

    Under some circumstances, we're willing to release the command-line agent
    source code to customers who need authenticated or encrypted channels but
    don't run one of the OS'es for which we provide pre-compiled binaries.
    It's rather Unix-oriented C code, but should be easy to port.

    > And what did it cost?

    Please send me non-list e-mail, and I'll happily get you the phone number
    of our Sales department. :^)

    > I've been very impressed with what I've seen of it, but
    > it's a higher dollar acquisition than EventReporter...

    Thanks, it's nice to know you like what you've seen. I can't comment on
    the acquisition cost, since that's determined at pay grades way above mine
    (I just write the software :^).

    Nick

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* SigMask 0.4 (sig.c) 20000913 PUBLIC DOMAIN "Compile Me" */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(*v-1)&&main /* Make: cc -o sig sig.c */