[logs] Complex logsurfer rules?

From: emf (emfat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 12:57:15 PST

    Hey. who uses logsurfer to do complex actions?    There's a distinct lack of
    useful config samples on the web about this cool program.   My hope is
    that someone on this list knows better than I how to make this thing work
    well.

    What I'm trying to do is create a dynamic context with a timeout value that
    will execute an action if a specific message is *NOT* received in a certain
    time period.

    As a trivial example, lets say I see a message like the following:
    Dec 12 00:00:00 loghost newsyslog[29434]: logfile turned over

    I would like to be able to open a context on ".*" that waits for any other
    message to arrive in the logfile and if a message DOES arrive, i would like to
    delete the context and do nothing.  but if no message arrives in the timeout
    period, I would like to send a panic message "Hey, logging is broken!" or
    somesuch.

    Or, to put this problem in another light, lets say i get a message that
    says that a user has logged in to a system, and I expect them to log out
    within, oh, 8 hours.  I would like to generate an alert if no corresponding
    Logout message appears.

    The problem is, logsurfer doesn't seem to have a clear way to express an
    if-then-else case, and I'm being too stupid to see how to express this with
    "rule before" and "continue" clauses; but I'm thinking that's about all that
    will be able to do this.

    Hints? Anyone?

    Thanks in advance...

    --