RE: [logs] RE: [[logs] Backup]

From: Greg Dotoli (gdotoliat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 09:17:31 PST

    Antonio,

    	You have to put the thought before the action. Gather the information you
    need, then line up your data and draw a conclusion.
    Do you have a budget?
    Did you measure log size?
    Is management behind you?
    It may be a waste of tapes, depending on the situation. One can purchase a
    snap server for
    900 dollars (160 Gigabyte) and move the logs from the log server to the Snap
    Server (NAS). Then, periodically backup the NAS. Tapes are about 30 a piece,
    30 times 52 = 1560. There is your Snap Server.
    Then, you can backup the NAS device once or twice a month.
    If you are running NT , create an NT shell script that moves your data
    nightly.

    Using Unix is just as easy. The NAS device can be seen as an exported NFS
    volume.

    I have a shell script that you may use.

    Greg