Re: [logs] ip mapping software

From: Andrew Hilborne (andrew.hilborneat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 07:21:18 PST

    Jose Nazario <joseat_private> writes:

    > On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Ganu Skop wrote:
    >
    > > does anyone know if there's any tools that would be able to generate
    > > world mapping by keyin ip say that my location is thailand.  the ip
    > > x.x.x.x is from singapore. then when i keyin that particular ip
    > > (x.x.x.x ) it will generate a line from singapore to thailand over the
    > > world map
    >
    > several tools can do this. Xtraceroute, in UNIX/X, can do this, for
    > example.

    BUT, none of them can do it well, because this information just isn't available
    for IP addresses. For example, a large block of addresses may be allocated to
    UUNET, with appropriate addresses in the US, but they may well be used all
    over the world. The registered snail-mail addresses are virtually the only
    information such a tool can use.

    Andrew Hilborne