[logs] FW: New Incident Response book: Hacker's Challenge

From: Tina Bird (tbirdat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 15:05:55 PST

    Author Mike Schiffman released a book called "Hacker's Challenge: Test Your
    Incident Response Skills Using 20 Scenarios" last October.  The book
    consists of 20 real-life intrusions from a variety of corporate and
    university environments, and invites the reader to figure out how
    machines were compromised, as well as any actions taken by the attacker
    once they were in.  Incidents are rated (somewhat randomly) by difficulty
    of accomplishment and mitigation.

    I got all excited about this when I read about it, 'cos it sounded like
    a great place to go trolling for attack data.  Sadly, the majority of the
    incidents are first detected either because a Web site was defaced,
    the attacker sent an e-mail to the victim talking about how el33t he
    was, or because a high-visibility service (like corporate e-mail) became
    unavailable.  Only 2 of the 20 incidents are discovered because of IDS
    alarms; none are discovered in OS logs; and most of the forensic work
    uses lots of info other than syslog.

    It's a really good read (kind of like Agatha Christie for geeks, and
    about that level of complexity), and a great insight into what goes on
    >after< the first bit of discovery is done.  I do recommend it highly.

    tbird
    full of spam today