Re: [logs] log over the network

From: dgillettat_private
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 10:28:53 PST

    On 21 Jan 2002, at 19:21, Ganu Skop wrote:

    > dear all,
    > haven't tested it yet - just another assignment.
    > scenario:
    > i need to transfer a log file from a branch across the
    > network (where i have no shell access to the log
    > server running tcpdump repository)
    > solution:
    > what i am thinking is - generate a key - pass to my
    > machine (reside at hq) and do a scp/ssh script so that
    > it can be batch transfer.
    >
    > questions:
    > is there any issue on bandwith ? since my branch only
    > have 128k of line to the internet.
    > is there a need to do a processing (like run tcpdump
    > file to the snort) and only pass the result across the
    > network ?
    > but what i need is a 'real-time-result-alert'
    > ....mmmmmm
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > =====
    > //skopganu

      The last time I did the math, based on live data I'd collected, log
    transfer bandwidth was , I believe, less than 4% of the bandidth of
    the connection I was monitoring.
      Of course, transfering it all at once is as likely to tie up the
    connection as any other large transfer[*], for in this case (rapid
    scribbling on back of envelope) about 2-3 minutes.  If you can
    schedule it off-peak, I'd bet most users won't even notice.

    Dave Gillett

    [*] which could be alleviated if you have some sort of traffic
    shaping in place.  I routinely throttle FTP to keep it from stalling
    out interactive use.....