Re: [logs] Apache Logs

From: rich (rbfat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 14:53:20 PST

     > I'm kind of curious about this: does anyone have any numbers they'd
     > care to share about logging rates and server log rates? How many
     > entries/second does a busy server's access log collect?

    Sure. Our main public web server, apache on a 2-cpu/1GB Sun 3500,
    commonly gets up 700k-800k hits per day, with rates up to 125
    hits/sec. Uncompressed log size is upwards of 110MB. At around
    144 bytes/message, these are a bit longer than your normal syslog
    things. (We have chosen to log most everything.)

    -- Rich Fuchs rbfat_private (*nix systems programmer, Research Libraries Group)