[logs] syslog timestamp format

From: Benjamin.Feinsteinat_private
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 09:00:44 PST

    Hey ya'll,

    Assuming iptables uses klogd to log its messages to /var/log/messages, is
    there a way to specifiy the format of the timestamp that klogd prepends to a
    log message? The logging daemon is prepending a timestamp of "MMM dd
    hh:mm:ss", but I need to have the "yyyy" in the timestamp as well.

    Additionally, does anyone know how to get iptables to log to a logging
    facility other than "kernel"? I am aware of the ULOG target, but I have read
    that ULOG should not be used as a matching target for any significant amount
    of logging. Anybody have experience using the ULOG target, good or bad?

    I'm using klogd 1.4.1 and iptables 1.2.5 on a RH 7.2 box w/ kernel 2.4.17.

    Thanks for any help,
    Ben